How to make a hand cream base
Everybody loves silky smooth hands, but hand creams can be expensive. If your hand creams are handmade you can be sure of what goes in it, avoiding known allergens to make a completely natural and organic product.
Making the hand cream base, step-by-step
- Put a saucepan of water on to heat. You’re going to use this water to heat a bowl (or double boiler) containing your ingredients.
- In the bowl put 125ml (1/2 cup) coconut oil and 125ml of any of the following; almond, olive, jojoba or grape seed oil. This is the base.
- Next, stir in 36g (1/4 cup) of beeswax pellets along with a teaspoon of Vitamin E and 15-30g of Shea butter.
- Put the bowl over the saucepan and melt the ingredients, stirring occasionally
How to make the hand cream vegan
Substitute the beeswax pellets with soy flakes which pound for pound give the same consistency.
Making scented hand cream
This is the best part.. making the hand cream smell like you! So first here are the proportions you need for the amount of hand cream base you’ve made from the recipe above.
- While the hand cream base is still warm, add 10-20 drops of essential oil. Start with 10. You’ll usually find 20 is enough, but this is a guide. The oils can be blended to create pleasant combination.
- Pour the finished lotion into 4oz (120ml) mason jars or a pump dispenser.
Hand cream scent ideas
- Rose and geranium
- Orange and lemon
- Cherry and black pepper
- Ginger and grapefruit
- Lime and sandalwood